Year of establishment: 1971
Orthopaedic Services in eastern UP were first started in 1959, when Dr. TP Srivastava joined the Sir Sunderlal Hospital at Banaras Hindu University. College of Medical Sciences (now Institute of Medical Sciences). Division of Orthopaedics was created in 1962. Dr. TP Srivastava was appointed as Reader in 1963 and promoted as professor in Dr. BP Verma joined as Lecturer in 1964. Dr. SM Tuli joined as Professor of Orthopaedics in 1965 and this trioka formed the nucleus of Orthopaedic services taking it to the great heights for which it is famous. Dr. SC Goel joined as Lecturer in 1979 and Dr. SK Saraf in 1986. They were promoted as Readers in 1988 and 1993 respectively. Dr. GN Khare joined as Lecturer in 1992. Dr. SC Goel was appointed as Professor in 1997 and Dr. AK Rai and Dr. A Rastogi joined as lecturers.The Department has infrastructure in form of a Operation Theatre, 64 bedded ward and Rehabilitation services. First batch of MS (Orthopaedics) passed in 1970. The MS (Orthopaedics) degree was recognized by the Medical Council of India same year. One Hundred and thirteen Post graduates have qualified for MS (Orthopaedics) and many of them are occupying Professorial chairs at various institutions and have won awards and recognitions for their research activities.